Friday, September 27, 2024

Calligraphy - The Art of Beautiful Lettering

What started my interest in calligraphic lettering? A World Book Encyclopedia dictionary. Really...I saw the fancy letters that started each alphabet section of the large 2-volume dictionary set and decided I'd try to copy them with pencil and paper. Later, as a young adult, I saw a PBS series on calligraphy and decided that was what I wanted to do. I studied for several years with the Houston Calligraphy Guild, got good enough to teach classes and start a calligraphy business. That was an interesting time because most of my commission pieces were done in an Old English script. I filled in certificates for a Christian organization, a shipping company, did some logo work and even lettered the call letters for a popular Christian radio station on a song someone wrote.

Now I mainly do lettering for myself and as gifts for others. At this time, my favorite script is copperplate. I still dabble in the Old English and italic script, but I love the flow of the copperplate script. Below is one of my latest, a simple envelope done with the name in a copperplate script with Fraktur initials.


Copperplate Nib for Name - Zebra G
Nib for Fraktur Letters - Pilot Parallel Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment